Time & Place: 20.12.2012, 7pm - 9pm at Hacklab KIKA
We will present how to build a web framework wtih Ruby and walk through the source code of kreator. Kreator is a small MVC web framework build to demonstrate the basic concepts of Ruby on Rails, and generally any MVC web framework from the bottom-up perspective.
We'll start with a simple Rack (Ruby Webserver Interface) application. Then we will continue by introducing the basic concepts of web applications such as router, cookies and input params. We'll see what are Rakefile and Gemfile and how to test applications written with this library. In the end we'll write SQLite model adapter, see how templates rendering works and end up with full MVC architecture.
Time & Place: 6.12.2012, 7pm - 9pm at Hacklab KIKA
In this presentation Peco Danajlovski will introduce you to Backbone.js and how to use it with Ruby on Rails web framework to build complex user interfaces.
Time & Place: 22.11.2012, 7pm - 9pm at Hacklab KIKA
In this presentation Dalibor Nasevic will talk about common anti-patterns in ActiveRecord models and different ways to refactor them. We'll see how to improve the quality of a Rails application by applying basic principles of Object Oriented design like Decoupling, The Law of Demeter, Single responsibility principle, etc.
We'll also learn how to avoid fat ActiveRecord models, when to use model callbacks and why nested model attributes are not as good idea as advertised.
Time & Place: 01.12.2011, 7pm - 9pm at Hacklab 2.0
Meeting agenda: Machine Learning in Ruby
In this presentation Dalibor Nasevic will introduce you to the basic concepts of machine learning. We will look at a prototype implementation of a news aggregator (code can be seen here) that consist of the following components:
- training data set
- collection data from several news media
- parsing of RSS / HTML texts
- statistical classification method
- creating a cluster with statistical method
We will also look at the different tools used in the implementation of the prototype:
- Programming Language: Ruby 1.9.2
- Standard libraries: open-uri, net / http, rss (rss/2.0), json
- Other Ruby libraries: Sintara, Redis, Haml, Sass, Nokogiri
- Database: Redis
Purpose of the presentation:
- news aggregator as a concept and realization
- brief introduction to the tools used with emphasis on Redis and in what scenarios it can be used
- discussion of other algorithms for classification and clusterification of texts (Bayes, Latent Semantic Analysis, K-means
- discussion of the architecture for larger applications of this type (couchdb / mongodb, parsing and analyzing texts in Macedonian language)
- reviewing ideas for applications of this kind in Macedonia
Истава новост на македонски јазик можете да ја прочитате овде.
Time & Place: 23.06.2011 19h at Hacklab KIKA
Meeting agenda: Teaching Ruby & Rails
This Thursday we will be teaching ruby.mk group from Edno Leto project. Ruby & Ruby on Rails. It will be fun!